Friday

Stork Meal 10: Breakfast for Dinner


In my house, anytime I say I'm having breakfast for dinner, my kids scream with delight. They love breakfast and really hope that I mean I'm allowing them to have cereal. Ha. I'm not that kinda mom, usually.

But alas, tonight I was running late with life and thought, breakfast for dinner it is! I'd been browsing pinterest the past couple weeks and remembered seeing a pancake recipe that you can bake in the oven. First of all, this is a win because I dislike making pancakes. I don't know why, I just do. And since pancakes freeze very well, this is a winning combination for a Stork Meal and for dinner tonight!

And it was a hit.

Here is what you do... Heat the oven to 350 and butter up 24 muffin tins (or you can just do 12 but you will be baking longer ;)). Mix up your favorite pancake mix (if you make from scratch, more power to you. Today's recipe is not a scratch recipe, I just use Krusteaz just add water mix) and add to it your favorite syrup. Use about 3 Tablespoons per 2 cups of mix. Or more if your kids really like it sweet. But I'm picky on the sticky. And keep in mind your add-ins.

Now you need to get together your extras. Here are some ideas for add-ins to your pancakes:
Cinnamon chips
Chocolate chips
Frozen/Fresh Fruit
Bacon <-- no really!! NOM!
Jelly or Jam

Pour 1/4 of a cup of batter into each muffin tin and top with your favs. Tonight it was chocolate chips and berries. Stick in the oven for 10-15 minutes and be prepared to be wowed.

Some cooking notes: Because the berries were COLD the top of the berry pancakes did not brown. So just pay attention to the edges of your pancakes as they cook. They will get nice and golden and you know its time. Once the first batch comes out, you will have it down to a science.

For Freezing: Cool completely before you put in a ziplock. Then freeze in a single layer until the pancakes are frozen. Then you can pile them up together (this prevents sticking). On the outside of the bag, write PUFFINS: Microwave 20-30 seconds (each) until hot. Enjoy!

If you would like to give your family another quick freezer idea in muffin tins, able to be stored in the same manner, try mini quiche. Basically the same idea, only use EGGS as your base and as add-ins, use bacon, cheese, cottage cheese, and other savory items.  Store in the same manner and heat in the microwave 30-45 seconds.

To see the other Stork Meals, click here.

No comments: