The first recipe I tried was called Pumpkin Brownies... OMGOSH. Never have I had such a recipe turn out so tasteless then that one. I won't even share it. I'm not even sure what they were going for, but even my pumpkin/chocolate loving bible study gals didn't eat them. The trash said thank you.
However, when deciding what to make for this weeks study, I remembered last year that my sister and I made some pretty to die for pumpkin scones. And best of all, we made two versions... one wheat free and the other normal. The awesome part was you couldn't tell which was which... and people seemed to prefer the wheat free ones... score one for oats! Zero for wheat. :-P
4-1/2 cups oat flour
2 tsps xanthan gum
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter
2 Eggland's Best Eggs
1-1/4 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 cup milk (or half and half)
Extra milk for brushing over the scones
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1. Combine the first seven ingredients (up to the salt) and mix well.
2. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Whisk together in a separate bowl the eggs, pumpkin and 1/2 cup milk.
4. Stir wet into dry and work together well inside the bowl. If you were using wheat flour, this would have been the time to turn it out onto a floured surface but because we don't have the gluten, we must do it all in the bowl.
5. At this point your dough is ready for baking. Some people put half the mixture on parchment and shape into a large circle and cut into triangles, but that is waaaaay too much work for me. Aint no body got time for that. So I just used my Pampered Chef scooper to make mini scones, then flatted the balls with my fingers or the pastry brush. I also used my silicone baking mats to make sure nothing stuck.
6. Brush with milk
7. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove to wire racks; cool for 10 minutes.
I can neither confirm nor deny I ate five of these bad boys in one sitting.