Wednesday

Cinnamon Roll Oven Pancakes

I'm always looking for pancake recipes I can bake in the oven because, let's face the music here, I dislike standing in the kitchen flipping pancakes for 60minutes (I have a husband, two boys and a girl with a hollow leg, I am not kidding when I tell you I'm flipping for 60 minutes!).

So when a recipe comes across my radar for oven pancakes, I must peek. Even though we are wheat free, I try them out anyway. I just use alternate flours and try my best to adjust.

I'm happy to report, my most recent find for oven pancakes turned out fantastic! But I did have to make some adjustments for the oat flour I used. You should REALLY try these out!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups warm milk
4 T. melted butter
2 large eggs
2 T. sugar
2 cups oat flour + 1tsp xanthan gum (0r 2cups wheat flour)
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 11x17 cookie sheet and set aside.

Combine melted butter and warm milk (not hot, you don't want to precook your eggs but you want to keep your butter melted). Add in the eggs and mix/beat well. Now add in all the dry ingredients and mix well. At this point I watch the batter for consistency. At first it was really thick, so I added more milk (recipe above reflects that). So you may have to add a bit more milk but it's important to note these are going to be MUCH thicker then frying pan/griddle cakes.

Spread into prepared pan.

Time to make the cinnamon roll innerds.

Innerd Ingredients:
4 T. melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 T. cinnamon

Combine well and if you are feeling adventureous, try to swirl this over the top. But, this didn't work at all. So I generously sprinkled it on top (using my hands) until it was almost completely covered.

Bake 8-12 minutes (depending on oven and moisture in your air) until they rise a bit and a toothpick comes out clean. They won't brown like regular pancakes, they will stay pale, just check your toothpick.

Slice like bar cookies (big bar cookies LOL) and enjoy! Two kids ate theirs with syrup (SOOO GOOD!) and one just plain. Excellent!

This is an excellent recipe for the freezer too. Just make ahead and put completely cooled cakes between wax paper in a freezer bag. To reheat, stick two on a plate and microwave 30-45 seconds until hot.

Original recipe found on: Big Red Kitchen

No comments: