Friday

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff

The first meal to come from my freezer and into my crockpot was the Beef Stroganoff. I went with this one first because I knew my kids wouldn't touch it and I had tamales that I'd purchased from a fundraiser still in the frig, so I knew they wouldn't starve. See, this meal is packed with mushrooms and onions. Yummm. YUM!

I made TWO of these meals for my freezer and after the first trial run, so delish. So it's a keeper. One to bring out for adult pallets, or kids who don't mind bits of mushroom and onion.

What you will need:
2 gallon sized freezer bags

  • Write on one bag: Crockpot Beef Stroganoff - Cook 6-7 hours on low - add 1 tablespoons arrowroot at the end to thicken.


Ingredients to add to the blank bag:
1 1/2lbs of beef chuck steak
14 oz of mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup homemade beef stock
2-3 garlic gloves, pressed or minced well
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup chicken stock (or white wine)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Seal bag well and stick inside labeled bag. You always want to double bag because when it defrosts, it will save you a mess.

Take from the freezer the day before cooking. Put mostly thawed meal (or all the way thawed if you had lots of time) into the crock pot, cover and set for low 7 hours. Add arrowroot at the end and allow to thicken.

I checked mine at 5 hours and if you like medium steak, it would be great here. But we are going for the full time here. Then at the end, I added my arrowroot and tried to thicken. Notice I said tried. It didn't really thicken... at all. So you could leave out the arrowroot and it would be the same meal... I think. When I cook it again I will try to let it cook a little longer in the arrowroot? I dunno. It also wasn't creamy like traditional stroganoff. I know I might be asking for the world here, since I'm not using dairy, but it didn't LOOK like the stroganoff I was used to. So be it.

How did it taste?


Regardless of the non-thick, un traditional looking stroganoff (because it was not creamy at all) served over a red potato, the flavors were awesome! Very full flavored broth and just deliciousness on my plate! My husband hummed while he ate, which means he REALLY liked it and I found myself going back for more to top off my already full belly.

When it was time for leftovers (the next day) I mixed some sour cream into my husbands portion (none for me-- paleo means no dairy) but it turned perfectly stroganoff colored and still tasted fabulous. So if you aren't paleo but want a healthy crockpot stroganoff recipe... here you go! :)

Next up, Chicken Pad Thai!

No comments: