Thursday

Chipotle Cilantro Lime Chicken

Another whole bird crockpot win!

I'm seriously loving this probe and my crockpot right now. I don't know why I haven't considered using the probe on all my poultry before, but I'm a changed woman. All the birds from the pot have been juicy and delicious! It might be able to be seasoned with just plain salt and pepper and I'd think it was amazing. Though, I do love me some spices. So maybe that is going too far.

For those of you who want to know what crockpot I refer to, here is the link:
(Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker)

Anyway, I am going to cry the day this baby goes to slow-cooker heaven.

By I digress...

Chipotle Lime Chicken. Yumm! And spicy to boot! I mean like, I needed some veggies with every bite. But I'm a weenie. My husband and kids thought it was amazing and not too hot. So it's probably a medium-hot recipe.

Here is what you will need:
Two large freezer bags. One labeled with Chipotle Cilantro Lime (cook on low 5-6 hours)

Cut 1 lime in half and place in the cavity of the chicken. Then put it in the unlabeled bag.

Now get your food processor out and add the following:
1/2 cup of lime juice (about 2-3 limes). Did you know if your microwave your limes for 20-30 seconds the limes are easier to juice? Try it.
1 bunch of cilantro
3-5 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tablespoon of Chipotle powder,
1 table spoon of ground cumin

Whirrrrrrr this until it's paste. I added a little more olive oil then asked for, mostly because it wasn't pasty enough yet. 

Now put half the mixture in the front of the bag and half in the back next to the chicken. Then seal it tight. Like get all the air out of that bad boy. If you have  seal a meal, now would be the ULTIMATE time to use it. Once the air is out, move the pasty mixture all around the bag to cover every part of the chicken. 

Once you make sure again all the air is out, put it in the labeled bag and freeze.

Be sure to defrost a full day in the frig before you cook it. So, 24 hours. Take it out the night before or else you will have a half frozen chicken! No bueano! 

Place your chicken in your slow cooker along with any marinade left over in your bag (I scraped mine clean). Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. I would recommend closer to 6 with a probe. It will be glorious.
And the more bits you scoop from the crockpot and put onto the meat, the spicier it will be. But sooo good.

1 comment:

K M said...

Our family loved this and it was baked in just 2 hours! I used 1/3 of the chipotle powder, knowing my family really doesn't like spicy. I made the sauce and then stuck most of it under the skin, and some inside the chicken and around the outside. I then baked it at 375 for about 2 hours and it turned out great!