Saturday

Corn dog bites...

This one is a simple yet profound find for me. Since discovering my allergies to wheat, soy, rice, peanuts, almonds, tomatoes (and still the list grows of possibles) I've had to completely eliminate some comfort foods that I love. Like corn dogs.

I know what you are thinking, come again? But seriously. I used to dream about state fair corn dogs... the one you actually purchase AT the state fair. The crispy kind with the honey butter cornbread and all beef frank. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

I would purchase state fair corn dogs from the grocery store and cook them up for us more often then probably a normal American family. But the fact was, they made me feel good and if I had at least one in my freezer, I felt that all was right with the world.

However, after such a treacherous diagnosis as I received -- Corn dogs were now out. Did that stop me from comforting my soul with these golden beauties? Nope. And they made me sick every time. But I had to right?

Wrong.

Enter these little gems. Aren't they cute?
And best of all, they are allergy free! Now I won't say it was easy adapting this recipe. If you are not wheat/soy/rice free, you can probably just use your favorite cornbread mix and these will turn out just as fabulous. But I couldn't and it took a few tries to get this right.

The first try was "edible". It wasn't amazing, nor was it anything I'd ever make again. But since I made 80 of them, into the freezer they went for a rainy--we are starving and need something edible--day.

The second try was tastier. I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix and it was much better flavored and great consistency  But my hot dog bites were WAY TOO SMALL for the  kids of the peanut gallery. Everyone's a critic.

So armed with a new bag of Bob's and some Polish Beef Franks/Sausages(with cheese I might add) I went to it again. The results were a big ole fat win. I mean really, REALLY a win. They were gobbled and the left overs gobbled the next day and the next until I had requests to make more.

Yessss!

So really the recipe is that simple. Cornbread in a mini muffin tin and chunks of hotdog. But for those who need to make a grocery list, it's below:

1 1/2 cups of milk
1/3 cup or oil (or melted butter)
2 eggs 
1 package of franks
Butter for pan
  1. Mix cornbread in a bowl until well blended.
  2. Cut franks into large inch sized chunks.
  3. Butter your mini-muffin tin WELL! I used melted butter and a silicone brush. 
  4. Use a small scoop and put just over half the tin full.
  5. Shove your hotdog down the middle.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375. 


Allow to cool completely before freezing. Store in freezer bag or container and take desired number of bites out and microwave until hot. (30-60 seconds for 3-4)

Here are the pictures below for the process I used to make them.









No comments: