Friday

Wheat Free Biscuits and Gravy

Today's recipes have become a family favorite and definitely a keeper! I had a hankering for biscuits and gravy and by golly, I was going to make it happen.

However the only recipes I could find were ones with sorghum or some obscure flour I did not have. Since I'd just made my own batch of oat flour, I decided what the heck. I would try this with oat flour and gauge my results.

Which turned out fabulous!

Oat Flour Buttermilk Biscuits

 Ingredients
1 cup oat flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder, gluten-free
3/4 teaspoon salt, kosher
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 egg white
4 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup cold buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line your baking pan with parchment.

Combine oat flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum and mix well.

Cut the butter into tiny squares and work into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or your fingers. I found fingers get the job done best. Mix until somewhat crumbly.

Add egg and buttermilk and mix with a fork until just combined. Your dough will remain sticky, it's the nature of the beast.

Drop dough onto baking sheet. If you want more shapely biscuits, wet your palm and press them into neat stacks. Otherwise, drop biscuits work peachy!

Back 425 for 12-15 minutes, or until the slightly golden (don't overcook!).

Oat Flour Gravy 

Ingredients
1lb mild sausage
1 tablespoon of butter
3 table spoons of oat flour
3 cups of milk
Salt and Pepper

Cook sausage until no longer pink. Add in the butter and melt (you might need a little more butter if your sausage was lean). Once melted, add in your oat flour. Combine well and then start to whisk in the milk. Cook until your desired thickness and serve over your hot biscuits.

SOOOO GOOD! I couldn't even get my camera out fast enough to snap any of the finished products besides what was on my plate. I will make this again. And again. And again.

As for freezing, I know this will freeze awesome. Enough said.

No comments: