Tuesday

Taco Soup II

My friend Faith, we are on an Allergy Free Cooking group on Facebook-- and now friends, posted this recipe for us this week and with her permission, I thought I would share.

I know I already have several "Taco Soup" recipes on this blog, but it's such a great concept that I thought, why not another? This does have variations from my others, so I hope you will enjoy!


This is a very flavorful but NOT a hot/spicy chili type dish. If you want more heat, I recommend adding it in the form of sliced jalapenos and hot sauce to serve, but not cooked into it. It's much harder to control the heat/spice over such a long cooking period and it will tend to get hotter/spicier as it cooks.

Taco soup

1 cup textured vegetable protein, rehydrated (or 1 lb ground meat, browned)
2 medium onions, chopped
1-2 bell peppers, chopped
2 sm-med carrots, peeled and grated
1 15 oz. can chili beans
1 15 oz. can black beans (or red or kidney, we prefer black), drained, rinsed
1 15. oz. can no salt added corn, drained
1 can water
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes (I like to get the petite dice)*
1 can green chilis (sorry don't remember the ounces on that one)*
1 packet taco seasoning (I use a homemade mix)
1 packet ranch dressing mix (I don't use this during Lent)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt

Place everything in slow cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook a reeeeaaaaally long time - I tend to put mine in after supper one night and leave it on low until supper the next night, but 8 hours in a newer crockpot will work (seriously, though, longer is better!!). It doesn't look appealing when it's done but man does it taste amazing!

Serve with extra sour cream and cheddar to top, if desired. Cornbread works really well as an accompaniment, too.

*Two cans of diced tomatoes with chilis - NOT Rotel - will also work.

Gets better the second and third day and freezes very well, you just need to add a bit of water as it heats to loosen it up.






No comments: