Wednesday

Wheat Free Oatmeal Cookies

I know what you're thinking: How can any cookie taste good without wheat? Bear with me, and I swear I'll convince you.

I know what else you're thinking: How is this a freezer friendly meal? Well, it's not. It's just a great wheat free recipe that I've found and want to make sure I catalog so I can find again when I'm out and about. It does help that the dough can be frozen  on a baking tray then packaged together into single serving bites and cooked on the fly. So technically it totally belongs here. (Let's just go with it!)

So this was my first holiday season being wheat free. This is not a choice, this is a requirement my body has decided was necessary. I'm allergic. Stupid body. We assume I've been allergic most of my life (because of issues that were unexplained as a child/young adult/adult) but until I had a doctor who knew what he was looking at, I was never tested for food allergies because I wasn't reacting the way most do.

But I digress. This holiday season I was determined to find some great wheat free recipes that I could cook and make people beg for. Because I enjoy cooking and when people hear "these are wheat free" they usually don't touch them. Am I right? Well that is my experience anyway.

My sister and I decided to make oatmeal cookies one evening and while she made the jo-normal, run of the mill oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, I had to improvise with what I had. I knew the rule about xanthan gum (1/2 tsp for every 1 cup you replace of wheat flour) and had some oat flour, so I decided, what the heck. And this recipe was born.

My husband brought these cookies with him to work and no one would believe they were wheat free. NO ONE. But they were. And to prove it... I am going to make you prove it to yourself.  But because I like to "take one for the team" I am going to go make a batch right at this very moment. Only to show you how wonderful they are. And maybe because I have no pictures (that I can find) of these totally amazing cookies.

So here is the recipe, go whip some up and I will be back to share pics before you can read the next line (the magic of the internet).

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups oat flour
3/4 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cinnamon chips

You can make your own oat flour by sticking old fashion oats in a blender and whirring them up until they are flour. This is much cheaper then buying prepackaged or even bulk.

Good rule of thumb when replacing wheat flour with oat flour is: For every 1 cup you replace, add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum.



No comments: